Students for Change
Engaging Students to create equality, justice and peace:
EKTA initiated this programme in 1994 in collaboration with the National Service Scheme (NSS) of Madurai Kamaraj University. Later a survey was undertaken in some select colleges among the students to assess their understanding about the situation of women in society and violence against women in particular. Following this a three day residential workshop was organized for the women students of the above colleges.
We work with students of selected colleges and non-student youth in rural areas to create awareness on gender equality and to understand society from a rights perspective.
We cover the following topics:
- Gender equality
- Globilisation and challenges
- Role of media in social transformation
- Women and human rights
- International instruments – (UDHR, UN-CRC and CEDAW)
- Right to Information Act
- Sexual harassment at workplace
- Domestic Violence Act
We help the youth to understand societal issues through discussions, Seminars and workshops. We take the students on exposure trips to institutions such as Children’s homes, Old Age Home, Juvenile Homes, General Hospitals, Courts and Women Police Stations. This gives the students an opportunity to have practical understanding on social institutions and social issues.
We offer the students internship in our organization and they are encouraged to undertake a project work of their own choice.
Impact of Students for Change Programme:
- Most of the member students seem to send a strong message of the programme among their peer group.
- They give respect to women in the family and involve them in decision making
- EKTA’s representation as Board members is ensure in the department of women’s studies of two colleges