Advocacy and Campaigns
Promoting Women’s Rights
EKTA promotes networking and campaigning among women to influence for appropriate implementation of existing policies and laws. It also demands for relevant amendments and enactment of new laws.
EKTA is actively engaged in advocacy and policy dialogues at the State and National level for the following:
- Effective implementation of the Protection of women from Domestic Violence Act 2005
- Formation of Complaints Committees under Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- CEDAW - Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- Beijing Platform for Action
- ICPD – International Conference and Population Development
- UNCRC – United Nations Convention on Child Rights
In the past, EKTA has concretely advocated for the following concerns along with other organisations:
- Girl Child Policy fir the human development report of Tamil Nadu (2003)
- Protection of Women from Domestic Violence passed in 2005
- Formation of Complaints Committee in different institutions in Tamil Nadu in keeping with the guidelines of Supreme Court against harassment (1997)
- Lobbying with the political parties for 33% reservation for women in Parliament and legislative assemblies, though the campaign is yet to yield results, However,m a change in public attitude us visible as more women are contesting in general seats (not just seats reserved for women ) in local body elections.